From 1808 to 1820, the site on which the hotel lies was the site of the Government House, and on February 26th 1959, an Agreement was signed between the Industrial Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago and Hilton International, to operate the Trinidad Hilton. The hotel opened officially in June 1962. It was the first international hotel on the island, the fourth Hilton International hotel and one of the few upside down hotels in the world, whereby guests enter the lobby and descend to their rooms. Since the alliance of Hilton International with Hilton Hotels Corporation and the launch of their new joint corporate identity to the world, the hotel has now been renamed Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre as of June 1998.
In 1998 the Hilton Trinidad won three prestigious local awards one being the ‘Aware Award’ for the workplace where women are recognized as equals presented by the Trinidad & Tobago Chamber of Commerce. Two awards were received at the first Prime Minister’s Annual Tourism Award.
In 2000 and January 2003, Hilton Trinidad & Conference exceeded expectations not only for great service, but also in the field of Human Resources. We were two years consecutively awarded the Prime Minister’s Award for Innovation and Invention in Human Resources Development.