This is a professional position which has unit level responsibility to help students overcome problems that impede learning
TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS GOVERNMENT VACANCY
JOB TITLE: SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHER
DEPARTMENT: Education Department
MINISTRY: Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Library Services
LOCATION: Grand Turk
Teachers are needed for the following area:
- Information Technology and Business Teacher
This is a specialist position which has unit level responsibility for the teaching of one or more of the school’s curriculum subjects to students.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and deliver lessons to a range of classes
- Mark work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of students' progress and development.
- Research new topic areas, maintain up-to-date subject knowledge and then devise and write new curriculum materials.
- Select and use a range of different learning resources and equipment, including LCD projectors, podcasts and interactive whiteboards where available.
- Undertake pastoral duties, such as taking on the role of form teacher, and supporting students on an individual basis through academic or personal difficulties.
- Prepare students for external examinations.
- Organise field trips to encourage students’ innovation and creativity.
- Manage student behaviour in the classroom and on school premises, and apply appropriate and effective measures in cases of misbehaviour.
- Supervise and support the work of newly qualified teachers.
- Participate in and organise extracurricular activities, such as formal dinners, social activities, fundraising events and sporting events.
- Participate in staff meetings, departmental meetings, PTA meetings, parents' evenings and whole school staff development seminars/workshops.
- Liaise with other professionals, such as careers advisers, guidance counsellors, educational psychologists and social welfare officers.
- Help guide students in their selection of career choices.
- Undergo regular observations and participate in regular in-service training (INSET) as part of continuing professional development (CPD).
- Teach the secondary curriculum, in Forms 1 to 5 appropriate to the age and learning needs of the children.
- Adhere to all Public Service codes, rules and regulations.
- Perform other related tasks as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant academic discipline AND
- A teacher's certificate or diploma (The certificate or diploma may be encompassed in the degree).
- A minimum of one (1) year teaching practice experience in a classroom setting at the secondary school level during the course of the teacher training to respond effectively to the challenges of the job.
For Vocational Teachers
- An industry standard qualification (e.g. City and Guilds) in a relevant vocational discipline AND
- A teacher's certificate or diploma AND
- Associated vocational experience of a minimum of three (3) years
$35,926.25 per annum plus allowances
For persons recruited outside of the Turks & Caicos Islands a two year extendable contract is offered. Other benefits in addition to basic salary include a Housing Allowance, End-of contract gratuity of 10%, return passages for a family of up to two children under the age of 16 years, freight cost and duty exemption on personal effects imported within six months of the appointment.
Resumes with current contact information must be accompanied by a Cover Letter and two letters of reference (one preferably from a former employer) as well as copies of educational certificates, a copy of the Passport photo page and Police Certificate/Record. Applications should be addressed to the Office of the Human Resource Directorate, Church Folly, Grand Turk. Facsimile: 946-1582 or sent by email to: recruitment @gov.tc with the subject line being: Secondary Teacher (Information Technology). Envelopes should have the subject: Secondary Teacher (Information Technology) clearly marked on the front.
Successful applicants will work in accordance with the Public Service Ordinance.
Current serving officers must apply through their Head of Department.
Applications without all supporting documents will not be processed.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 18th January 2017