ASSISTANT BOARD SECRETARY
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of:
ASSISTANT BOARD SECRETARY
The successful candidate will be expected to provide assistance to the Secretary of the Board in ensuring that the provisions of the Tourist Board Act are adhered to.
Key Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Attend Board/Committee meetings at Head Office, in resort towns or any other place so designated as requested and produce minutes of these meetings.
- Ensure that all relevant materials for discussion are forwarded to Board Committee Members along with agenda and minutes of previous meetings in a timely manner.
- Take acceptance/apologies from members and keep an up-to-date account of their attendance.
- Prepare formal communiqués regarding date and time of Board/Committees meetings, circulate same to members and follow-up with telephone call/email reminders.
- Prepare annual schedule of Board and Sub-Committee Meetings, adjust as necessary.
- Carry out, follow-up on action items from Meetings as directed.
- Ensure that decisions concerning the operations of the Jamaica Tourist Board, made by the Board are disseminated to the relevant management personnel for adherence by the staff.
- Ensure that Board/Sub-Committees fees are paid on a monthly basis or as otherwise agreed by the Board.
- Undertake preliminary contract negotiations with creditors, contractors, advertising and public relations consultants to ensure that all requirements are understood and to clarify the Board’s position on a variety of matters.
- Correspond with hoteliers, transportation/tour operators and other local tourism interests on policy changes and upgrades as it affects the conduct of tourism business in the island.
- Represents the Board at designated meetings held either at Head Office or in resort towns.
- Maintain day-to-day administrative operations of the department inclusive of annual vacation/departmental leave roster.
- Make arrangements for Board members’ travelling on JTB’s business, to include seeking the requisite approval to facilitate all aspect of travel.
- Research material for new and/or changes to policies, analyse data and make recommendations.
- UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Extended hours and work on weekends
- KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of the Tourist Board Act
- Knowledge of the tourism industry in general
- Knowledge of contract law (especially in Jamaica)
- Ability to conduct research and preliminary contract negotiations
- Ability to take accurate minutes of Board Meetings
- Ability to communicate well with all levels of individuals both orally and in written format
- High level of confidentiality
- Ability to undertake the day-to-day operations of the Unit
- Analytical skills, reasoning powers, judgement and tact
- Attention to details
- Computer literacy
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduate from an accredited tertiary institution with Business Law and/or Contracts Negotiation
or equivalent law courses included.
Five years’ experience in senior administration or similar position
Applications with resumes should be submitted no later than
February 28, 2017 to:
Senior Manager, Human Resource Development, Jamaica Tourist Board
Note: We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those short-listed will be contacted.